Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Writing My Wrongs

(During the day) There is a prize for hitting the bull's-eye, but if every archer aims at the same target then your chances of success are reduced - as well as your sense of accomplishment since you haven't broken any new ground. You don't have to necessarily aim higher, just somewhere else. Once you release that arrow though, the whizzing and piercing sound and the resulting scatter will attract attention. Being a competent archer capable of hitting whatever you set your sights on is important. Hit it before the competition does.
        Hmm. You know what's more impressive than hitting a bull's-eye? Being able to hit any part of the target you want. Instead of adding yours to the steady barrage of arrows speeding towards that red dot, aim yours at one of the outer rings and shoot a circle of arrows around them; or the shape of the letter of your first name; or paint the stem of your arrow a bright color so everyone knows what you've done. You can be better by being different.

(And before bed)  What am I aiming at? What am I shooting for (and for)? Am I using the right bow? How taut is my bowstring? Did I just run out of arrows?

       I remember taking archery in 6th grade. Only because I broke an important rule (not purposely, absentmindedly). I walked to my target (to collect my arrows?), which was aligned horizontally with the others. The other students were still shooting when I had done this. My teacher was pissed, but in a concerned way (if that makes sense). He yelled at me and asked if I were stupid or an idiot or something. I started crying. I remember him hugging me, but from a distant, third-person view - like I was another student watching from about 30 ft. How characteristically detached of me (or maybe the visualization serves to preserve the emotion since I can't actually remember how it felt).

      Right now I feel like the teacher is yelling, but I can't understand what he's saying - only that something is wrong. So I freeze. Not knowing what to do next.

(The next day)  I've been writing more, lately - world maps, thoughts on A.S.I. (Artificial SuperIntelligence and no, I didn't think Ex Machina was all that exceptional) and consciousness, pros and cons of character traits of characters for one of my IPs (about freaking time). It feels good to free up space in my brain. It's about time I let the paper carry some of this weight.

      I've been in 'No Go Mode' the past week and a half. I think it might be time for me to make another move. Washington state is my current top pick. Moving back home was ok, at first - spending less on rent, closer to family - but getting too close to the past can reinstall/reinforce old thought patterns and I've been successfully ridding myself of those over the past few years. The past is a sore loser. If I plan on winning then I'll have to cut it from the team. I'll check my finances come spring and revisit relocation.


Before, between and after studies I'll doodle for a bit. It helps me discover weak spots and in loosening up.

These were lighting studies done from a photo. Same pose, different lighting angles.





I love this one for some reason. I think it's the expression. I used the same line work for each drawing and painted on a layer or two below. BGs were separate, also.



This was part of a 6-study series of the same person. I could've bumped up the highlights. I spent a little more time on each piece as I completed the set. This was number five.

This was number 6. I kind of overworked it and could definitely use some edge variation. I like how the flesh tones started turning out. I still need to practice nailing them sooner, though.
Here, I did a rhythm traceover first. Next, I did a value study in A1 then did B1 from memory to test myself. The same was done for A2 and B2.


No comments:

Post a Comment